On the fence at Mitchell School playground
The Mitchell School was opened in 1905. It replaced several one-roomed schools in the town. This photo is the class of 1922. When naming the school, the superintendent committee posted that anyone in the community who could donate a musical instrument or furniture to this school, with a value of 150 dollars or more, could have the school named after them. Horace Mitchell, a public- spirited citizen, hooked up a team of oxen and delivered a piano. For this, the school was named the Horace Mitchell School.